At Birch Tree Farm, there are loads of things you can do. And almost nothing you have to.
Hike. Bike. Read. Swim. Fish. Dine. Explore.
Or just watch the embers glow.
Or rise in time to see the Vermont sunrise slowly light the valley.
Luxuriously enjoy a four-course gourmet meal, dreamed up by you, but expertly prepared by a master chef.
Or simply grill some burgers with the kids, toss together a salad fresh from the garden, and wrap it up with marshmallows straight out of the bag.
It all works here.
As a working farm, there’s always something new and different going on around the Birch Tree barn. And as guests, you and your children are more than welcome to join in with the staff, helping out with the daily chores and animal care.
Never met an alpaca? Now’s your chance. The farm is home to 20 alpacas, two llamas, two ponies, two of the most charming miniature donkeys in the world and some of the best egg-laying chickens in Vermont.
Plus there’s plenty to do, find, explore, experience, love and fondly remember outside of the barn, too, in your wonderfully open and natural 1000+ acre backyard.
And to make sure that you get exactly what you want out of your time here with us, there are three people here who are as deeply invested in your family enjoying an unbelievable vacation as you are.
Your wishes. Their desires.
- Jeanne Matos
- Property Manager and Chef
- Graduate of Massachusetts College of Art and The Culinary Institute of America, Jeanne has a passion for detail. As a former corporate executive chef, restaurateur and caterer, she knows firsthand about hospitality and the importance of the details necessary to create a memorable experience.
An avid gardener and a passionate supporter of the farm-to-table movement in Vermont, Jeanne is also a vibrant part of the community of Woodstock. Working as your concierge, she does everything in her considerable powers to ensure your stay here with us is truly unforgettable. Jeanne is also the board president of a local nonprofit humane society and “Mama Hen” over the flock of Birch Tree Farm chickens (and staff!).
- Nancy Gaynor
- Barn Caretaker
- A real “farm girl” having grown up on her family’s farm in northern New Hampshire, Nancy graduated from the University of New Hampshire with degrees in animal science and education and is a natural with animals and people alike.
Along with Sara, her golden retriever, she truly enjoys introducing children of all ages to the experiences and wonders of life on the farm (although Sara’s tail would tell you she enjoys it even more). An extensively experienced equestrian, Nancy is also a certified EMT and director of our local rescue squad.
- Dave McGrath
- Farmhand and Tech Guy
- Born in Brazil and raised in Venezuela and Connecticut, Dave is not only a world traveler, but the ultimate outdoorsman, a whiz at troubleshooting any technical problem, a scratch golfer, an expert skier, an experienced fly fisherman and a farmer of Hereford cows. He is a graduate of Northern Colorado University and the father of two very active young boys.
What will you do with yourselves here? The list is almost endless.
Onsite activities that our staff can prepare and guide for your family:
- Nature walks/hikes
- Fly/angler fishing instruction
- ATV tours of trails on property
- Pony/carriage/sleigh rides for children under 10
- Kayak and paddleboard use in pond
- Mountain biking, hiking, and trail running on 20 miles of groomed trails and to Mount Baldy
- Access to vegetable/berry garden
- Apple picking and cider making
- Sugaring (March)/maple sap gathering and boiling
- Snowshoeing/cross-country skiing on private groomed trails
- Farm chores for children
Concierge services that our staff would be more than happy to arrange:
- Personal in-home chef
- Catering services
- Restaurant recommendations and/or reservations
- Private cooking classes
- Private in-home spa treatments (massage, facials, mani/pedi) and instruction (yoga, Pilates)
- Horseback riding lessons, carriage and sleigh rides
- Private tours of local cheese-making and/or farms
- Foliage tours